2018 Spring LC Magazine

As we celebrate the beginning of a New Year, we often take time to reflect on the past. Lycoming College is rich with history and tradition, and this edition of LC Magazine highlights some of the memories our alumni recall about their time spent on campus. In 1839, Williamsport Academy moved to the “hilltop” in the east end of Williamsport that remains the home of an institution that is now a dynamic 21st-century national liberal arts and sciences college. As the physical home of the College, the campus has been the stage upon which the history of this eminent institution has unfolded. It has also served as the home for generations of students. It is the place where memories have been made and lives of meaning and careers of significance have been incubated. Today, we are careful to preserve the history and memories even as we build the campus of the future. For many decades, Old Main towered over the east end of Williamsport and served as the entrance to the institution. It housed student rooms, faculty offices, classrooms and even the residence of the president. Its demolition in 1968 was an emotional moment for those associated with the College. Memories of Old Main, however, have been preserved on campus. In addition to the plaque on the Upper Quad, the Flag Court houses an Old Main bell that cracked in 1943 and another is found in Bell Lobby. As memorabilia, they recall the history that occurred in Old Main and allow the earliest alumni to reconnect with memories. From the President’s Desk The location and design of the future Gateway Building have been influenced by Old Main. Standing only a few yards from the site of Old Main, the Gateway Building will, like its historic inspiration, face toward the City and Susquehanna River and welcome visitors as they pass through the streets of the East End. The building will house multiple functions, including offices to welcome alumni. The College recently named the lower quad the Daniel G. Fultz Quadrangle, commemorating another campus space filled with history and memories. As a young employee, Fultz, a 1957 graduate, planted the oak saplings that mark the passage from the open field to the iconic social center of a residential campus and whose canopy now defines the space. The Metzler Gate at the north end of the Fultz Quad has welcomed thousands of students to their graduation ceremonies. The Georgian buildings recall the presidencies of two of the College’s visionary leaders — John Long and Frederick Wertz. We have now begun the process of renovating and preserving these significant buildings and the memories they house. For more than five decades, three buildings have served as the places where thousands of students learned scientific principles and some conducted research leading to new scientific knowledge. From 1957-90, the converted Flock Brewery housed biology and chemistry classrooms and laboratories. Its successor, the Heim Science Building, opened in 1990 while physics, astronomy and the planetarium occupied space in the Academic Center. In 2015, the College dedicated the Lynn Science Center. This new building, designed in the Georgian style of architecture that defines the campus, houses a planetarium, classrooms, laboratories and state-of- the-art equipment. The current period is a time when we are called to construct the campus of the future and position the College to remain competitive. We are undertaking that work in a way that both preserves and honors the past. Kent C. Trachte, Ph.D. President The current period is a time when we are called to construct the campus of the future and position the College to remain competitive. 4 LYCOMING COLLEGE 2018 SPRING MAGAZINE

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy NTA3NDk=