Lycoming College Prep 2.0: Reimagining the Fifth Year
"Opening eyes and minds to the possibilities" is the spirit of Lycoming College Prep 2.0: Reimagining the Fifth Year , a pre-collegiate enrichment program that brings high-achieving, first-generation rising seniors from across the nation to Lycoming College for two weeks in the summer. The program’s goal is to invite the students to “imagine the possibilities” by giving them a hands-on introduction to the liberal arts and to college life at our beautiful campus nestled near the banks of the Susquehanna River in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
2018 Dates: July 7-21
New for 2018!
Participants will earn two college credits that will be applied to their transcripts if they ultimately matriculate as Lycoming College Warriors in the Class of 2023. They will register for and complete one of the following two courses:
- The Historian’s Witchcraft: Salem Witches Fact and Fiction (Humanities) – Dr. Christopher Pearl, history professor
- The Scientist’s Beaker: Discovering the Structure and Function of Chemical Compounds (Natural Sciences) – Dr. Jeremy Ramsey, chemistry professor
Exposure to the Breadth of the Liberal Arts and College Preparation
These are the major foci throughout the fortnight, with presentations and workshops offered by Lycoming College faculty and staff, including:
- Creative art and poetry workshops
- Hands-on study of the human brain
- Sociological look at relationships between humans and animals
- Fun training for leadership roles in life
- Helpful tips for writing the best college essay
- Etiquette dinner at Le Jeune Chef restaurant
- Presentations on the physics of roller coasters and the mathematics of games
- Lunch and networking opportunity with Dr. Philip Sprunger, Provost and Dean of the College
Lycoming College Prep students enjoy the gorgeous geography of northeastern Pennsylvania and welcoming communities of northeastern Pennsylvania. Experiences include:
- Kayaking the historic Susquehanna River
- Hiking the Allegheny Mountains
- Digging with an archeology professor at an official dig site
- Star-gazing with a professor of astronomy and physics
- Doing community service at West House Personal Care Home
- Taking a tour of the Little League International Headquarters
- Enjoying the rides at alumnus Buddy Knoebel’s nationally recognized family amusement park, Knoebel’s Grove
- Enjoying a picnic at the home of Dr. Dan Miller, Vice President for Student Life
- Celebrating an awards ceremony and dinner with President Kent Trachte and his wife, Dr. Sharon Trachte, at the president’s home
The Lycoming College Prep Team
Andrew Kilpatrick, Associate Dean of Student Success, leads the program, supported by Jessica A. Quintana Hess, Associate Director of Admissions, and Dr. Brenda Alston-Mills, Alumna and College Trustee, as well as faculty, staff, a graduate intern, and current Lycoming College students—including Lyco Prep alums—who are trained to serve as Program Facilitators.
Cost and Accommodations
All participants stay in Crever Hall. Thanks to the generosity of AT&T and Lycoming College, all costs are covered in full — including travel, housing, meals, snacks, school supplies and field trips.
Our thanks to AT&T for its generous support.
Applications are accepted from students from our partnership schools and organizations (KIPP, Yes Prep, MOSTe, Noble, and Say Yes), as well as from the eight school districts of Lycoming County, Pennsylvania.
For inquiries concerning the application process, please contact:
Dean Andrew Kilpatrick
Associate Dean of Student Success and Academic Services
Dean of First-Year Students
Director of Lycoming College Prep
Phone: (570) 321-4358
Follow us on Twitter at #LycoPrep.
Lycoming College Prep Program Schedule 2017